Road trips are the ultimate summer experience. The feeling of driving across multiple states with family and friends–laughing, sightseeing, and listening to good ol’ road trip tunes–is an adventure that everyone must take part in at least once in their lives.
Speaking from personal experience, road trips have been at the forefront of many of my favorite memories. I have gone on road trips with my family along Pacific Coast Highway, Oregon, San Francisco, Nevada, Arizona, and Hawaii, and these trips have brought my family and me much closer together.
One of the best parts about these road trips, in my opinion, has been jamming to songs with my family in the car for hours at a time. Having these playlists and songs to keep us engaged in the drive is such an important part of the overall experience.
There really are no rules as to what songs you decide to put on your road trip playlist, as long as they provide you with an amazing adventure and memories to last a lifetime.
From the road trips I’ve been on, I have noticed that I end up making different playlists depending on the people that I go on the journey with. With my family, I tend to create classic rock and alternative music playlists, whereas with my friends, I end up creating more modern pop and 2000s jams playlists. This just goes to show how much road trip playlists can vary for each individual. No road trip playlist is ever the same, trust me!
To commemorate the summer road trip experience, I’ve compiled 40 of my favorite tunes for the road below, and I can wholeheartedly assure you that they all give off the most adventurous and carefree vibes.
- “Imagination” by Foster the People
- “3 Nights” by Dominic Fike
- “Only Human” by Jonas Brothers
- “Mess Around” by Cage The Elephant
- “Your Love (Déjà Vu)” by Glass Animals
- “Tainted Love” by Soft Cell
- “Don’t You Want Me” by The Human League
- “The Man” by The Killers
- “Harlem” by New Politics
- “Notion” by The Rare Occasions
- “Whatcha Say” by Jason Derulo
- “Toxic” by Britney Spears
- “Hollaback Girl” by Gwen Stefani
- “Sk8er Boi” by Avril Lavigne
- “Pon de Replay” by Rihanna
- “Promiscuous” by Nelly Furtado, Timbaland
- “I Gotta Feeling” by Black Eyed Peas
- “Baby Boy” by Beyoncé, Sean Paul
- “Shake It” by Metro Station
- “I Need a Girl” by Diddy, Loon, Usher
- “Cool for the Summer” by Demi Lovato
- “Beauty and a Beat” by Justin Bieber, Nicki Minaj
- “You Know You Like It” by DJ Snake, AlunaGeorge
- “Classic” by MKTO
- “Youngblood” by 5 Seconds of Summer
- “Geronimo” by Sheppard
- “On Top Of The World” by Imagine Dragons
- “I Took A Pill In Ibiza” by Mike Posner, Seeb
- “New Rules” by Dua Lipa
- “Magic” by One Direction
- “My Life” by Billy Joel
- “More Than This” by Roxy Music
- “Dream On” by Aerosmith
- “Tom Sawyer” by Rush
- “Gloria” by Laura Branigan
- “Everybody Wants To Rule The World” by Tears For Fears
- “Brown Eyed Girl” by Van Morrison
- “Eyes Without A Face” by Billy Idol
- “Barracuda” by Heart
- “Don’t Stop Me Now” by Queen
These are just a select few out of the plethora of songs that I listen to with friends and family on our road trips. It’s always super exciting to sing along to tunes with others, fully living in the moment and creating lifelong memories.
Road trips, especially during the summer, are great ways to connect with friends, family, and the environment around you. I can assure you that you’ll fully feel the summer spirit once you ‘press play’ on that first road trip song!