It’s move-in season in the college realm, and that means dorm life is back in full swing. Here are a few pointers to help make your move-in a success.
- Get an early move-in time slot – fewer crowds, more of those carts to put your belongings in, prime elevator access, and the best side of the room. Need I say more?
- Work with what you have – all dorms are different, but they all come with the same bland furniture and crowded spaces, so don’t expect the same bedroom you had at home. There are ways to spruce up the place and make it your own.
- Storage organizers – whether it’s a shower caddy for a shared bathroom space, bins to store snacks in, or desk organizers, be sure to maximize your space!
- Putty and command strips – you may not be able to put nails in the wall or shelves to hold all your cute knick-knacks and photos from home, but command strips and wall putty are a lifesaver when it comes to poster hanging and photo collages. Get creative!
- A sturdy laundry basket – this is more for the dorm experience and less for the room itself, but trust me on this one. Cloth baskets with thin handles plus a heavy laundry load is cause for disaster… especially when you’re walking up 4 flights of stairs trying to juggle it all. Make sure you get a plastic or at least a strong basket that will survive the laundry you forgot about– or didn’t feel like doing– 2 weeks ago.