Hair can be difficult to care for, especially when considering the many tips and methods used for different types of hair. Recently, I learned five hair care tips from L’Oréal that generally assist in the health of my hair.
- Wet hair breaks easily when brushed; therefore, be gentle when combing wet hair, perhaps using fingers or a wide tooth comb to work out tangles.
- Similar to skin, hair can be damaged by too much sun. Wearing a hat when out in the sun for extended periods of time can prevent sun damage.
- Do not use a towel to dry your hair—this came as a surprise to me! Towels tend to be made of rough material; instead of using one, squeeze out the water from your hair with your hands, and then use a softer material (such as a cotton t-shirt) to gently dry your hair.
- As a rule of thumb, shampoo the scalp and condition your ends. This is because your hair naturally creates a lubricant to condition itself; however, the excess lubricant may clog your scalp pores, while also not reaching the ends of your hair where it is most needed.
- Lastly, wash your hair with lukewarm water. This interesting tip is one I had never considered; water that is too hot can remove much of the lubricant that your body produces, leading to dried-out, split and dull hair.
Many of these tips surprised me in their effectiveness; which of these help your hair?