As we navigate Mental Health Awareness Month, I’d like to provide seven mental health tips and rituals to make sure that you are taking care of yourself in all the right ways.
1. Exercising regularly – This should come as no surprise. Exercise is said to increase self esteem and confidence, boost endorphins, and lower blood pressure levels.
2. Eating right – Going along with exercise, nutrition can have great impacts on depression and self esteem levels.
3. Sleep – Getting enough rest is important for restoring hormonal imbalances, reducing stress, and improving immune function and mood.
4. Manage stress – Debrief from your day with some relaxation such as meditation, yoga, or acts of mindfulness.
5. Process emotions – Working through mental challenges, whether you talk about it or even write it down in a journal, is a healthy way to process stressors in your life.
6. Managing substance use – think about the outlets you have… are they healthy? Try not to use substances as a way to make things better and treat them as you would any indulgence.
7. Professional help – Get routine checkups from doctors, chiropractors, and mental health professionals as necessary. You want to make sure you are in alignment physically and mentally and that you’re taking care of yourself.
Whatever your process, take some time to check in with yourself, and make sure you are taking care of your mental health!